Working from home and having to stay indoors is tough and we are inclined to sit around more than before and enjoying a few too many snacks. If you do nothing else today to protect your health, maybe consider taking an honest measurement of your waist. In general, if a woman’s waist measure more then 35 inches and a man’s more than 40cm, chances are that you are harbouring a potentially dangerous amount of abdominal fat.
Visceral fat that accumulates around abdominal organs is metabolically active and has been liked to a host of serious disease risks such as cancer, dementia and heart disease. You do not have to be overweight or obese, even people of normal weight can accumulate harmful amounts of hidden fat beneath the abdominal wall. The only way to get rid of harmful fat is be following a healthy diet and of course exercise.
We have some good news; exercises really do not have to take up you day. So, we have put together a few exercises to help you knock off quickly some of the excess fat around your waistline.
You could do these moves at the end of a cardio workout or if you are a morning person you can do these workouts as soon as you wake up so that can get on with the rest of your day feeling stronger than ever.
Remember take it slow to prevent injuries.
- Lay on the floor with your legs fully extended and your arms stretched out above your head.
- Lift both your hands and legs up in the air, reaching your hands towards your toes to form your body into a V shape.
- To make it easier, lift just one leg at a time alternating side.
- Lay on the floor with one leg extended straight and the other leg bent and pulling your knee towards your chest. Remember both feet should not be touching the floor, place your hands behind your head.
- Alternate bending and extending your legs, the way you will be riding on a bicycle and rotate opposite elbows towards your knee. Remember to focus on fully extending your straight leg out.
- Start by standing on your hands and knees, lower down so that your elbows are on the floor, placing them underneath your shoulders. Extend your legs out coming up on your toes and then lifting your body into a straight line.
- Squeeze your glutes, abs and legs to stay in a straight line and remember do not let your hips lift or sag down – hold for 60 seconds.
- Lay on the floor with your knees bent and your hands underneath your glutes. Hold your feet up just above the ground pointing your toes.
- In one swift motion bring your legs in towards your chest and push your feet towards the ceiling and lifting your glutes off the floor.
Cross Body Crunches
- Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart keeping your left hand on your hip reach with your right arm overhead to a slight diagonal from your head.
- Holding your abs tight, lift your left knee to your right elbow as you are performing a standing crunch and return to the starting position, remember to switch sides.